5 Must-Have Plugins To Improve The Standard Comments System in WordPress
Comments are an indispensable part of the majority of WordPress websites that helps in keeping users engaged with the site, and help build relationships. However, the default comment system of WordPress is very basic. Needless to say, you won’t be able to provide an advanced commenting experience to your users using the standard comment system.
Fortunately, there are several comment plugins that can help improve the default functionality of your commenting system. Choosing the right comment system will give you the ability to optimize the commenting experience, which eventually helps in increasing the level of reader engagement.
To help you make an informed decision, we’ve listed 5 highly useful comment WordPress plugins that you shouldn’t ignore when it comes to improving the WordPress commenting system.
Disqus (also pronounced as “Discuss”) is the most widely-used comment system over the web. In case, you use the Disqus powered comments and would like to replace the WordPress standard comment system with your Disqus hosted comments, then the Disqus Comment System WordPress plugin is exactly what you need.
The plugin can be easily integrated into your WordPress installation Disqus API. Well, if you want to increase the interactivity of your website comments and would like to make the process of commenting easier, then you should consider using the Disqus comment system.
- Allows threaded comments, as well as, replies
- Send notification to users about new comments via email
- Provides several subscription options for comments
- Comes with built in spam filters
Almost every WordPress site contains a sidebar (or a widget-ready area). A sidebar is usually added to the right or to the left of the page, and contains useful information other than your main website content. Since the attention span of users is becoming too short, you won’t have enough time to represent yourself as a reliable source – whom they can trust.
But, adding comments in the sidebar will ensure that your site visitors can understand your value. This is where the NS Widget Recent Comments plugin comes in handy. The plugin helps display the most recent comments from your WordPress blog/site in your website’s sidebar area.
- Allows showing comments in the sidebar section together with author’s avatars.
- Helps add comments with a clean design that can fit easily into any WordPress themes.
- Allows choosing the number of latest comments you want to display.
Well, most of the users show a lot of interest in posts that raise questions and leads to heated debate. And so, keeping your users up-to-date about such comments can increase your website engagement rate. Of course, your users can subscribe to your website comments feed. But, unfortunately not all the users have an idea about comment feeds. You can help such users, by sending them email alerts regarding any new comments for the posts they like.
Using the Subscribe to Comments Reloaded plugin lets your website users subscribe to your comments. And once they’ve successfully subscribed to the comments, they’ll immediately receive an email notification about a new comment being posted on the article.
- Allows users to unsubscribe at any time.
- Gives users the freedom to manage their subscriptions.
- Heightens security, by allowing website administrators to select a double opt-in mechanism, which requires users to click on the link that is provided to them via email.
Yoast Comment Hacks
Managing comments, especially when you’re running a WordPress site with a large user base, can be challenging. Besides, there is only one default way that can help you engage with your WordPress website comments, which requires you to replying to the comments. No doubt, it’s a great way to improve engagement, however you may not be able to find enough time to reply to all the comments.
Thankfully, there is a plugin that can help you manage and moderate your comments, called as Yoast Comment Hacks.
- Enables to send an email to all the users who commented on any one of your posts.
- Allows to send email to a comment author directly from the admin area of your site.
- It provides a clean and easy to understand comment notification email.
While it’s true that adding comments can help boost engagement, but not all the users like to go through the long list of comments. Moreover, at times, comments can even distract your users from focusing on your main content. You can avoid such situation from happening by using the Hide Show Comment WordPress plugin.
This plugin adds a toggle button that helps to hide or show comments. You can even customize the toggle button using the options available in the plugin settings section.
- Allows to align text based on your preferences.
- Comes with a “load more” function, allowing users to split the comment list.
- Helps load the comment list in a step by step manner based on the ‘comment to load’ number.
If you want to enhance your WordPress website commenting system, then I’ll recommend you to consider using the above discussed comment plugins. Using these plugins will definitely help in improving your users’ experience.
Being a experienced expert Samuel Dawson is presently working as Front End Manager in Designs2html Ltd – a convenient html to wordpress conversion company. Samuel has written plenty of articles on WordPress technology. He has also shared here the standard comment plugins.